Andrew Phillips, LMFT
770.293.1950 ext. 111
Andrew Phillips, LMFT
Andrew Phillips, LMFT
Find a Therapist
IF YOU’RE READING THIS…
You’re probably looking for help. When I Google “Therapist near me,” I’m overwhelmed by the available options! Hopefully reading this will give you a sense of “Me” as a person and therapist.
I believe in the power of a safe, connected, and honest relationship. From my own experience in therapy, I know it can be strange and stressful to reach out to someone you don’t know– but it can be so worth it. I and many others have experienced healing, empowerment, clarity, and a more whole life.I believe everyone has something to gain in sitting with someone who cares, who will walk with them and their burdens for a time, and who can give some new strategies to lighten the load.
CHILD & ADOLESCENTS
I see children 5 years old and up, and have seen children and teens dealing with a variety of issues including: depression, anxiety, anger, family conflict, screen time, social skills, emotional dysregulation, self-destructive behaviors, learning disorders and more. I’ve worked with children and adolescents for over 6 years. Whatever the concern I want to provide a safe and respectful environment for children and parents alike.
For every family who steps into my office my goals are:
- CREATING A SAFE SPACE for a child (and family) to question and learn about themselves and the world, using play and practice to develop new skills that enable thriving.
- EMPOWERING CHILDREN & PARENTS with concrete tools, information, and insights usable outside the office that reduce underlying stress. Exploring together with parents how to be both Kind and Firm, Nurturing and Challenging at the same time.
- BUILDING CONNECTIONS between parent and child by deepening the mutual joy and trust, which enables growth in all areas of concern.
One of my passions is to help men thrive and live whole, satisfying lives. I work with men who desire to reach a variety of goals. I commonly hear from clients “life isn’t working right now” and “I want something to change”. Some men want freedom from past emotional pain and support developing practical tools for the present. Others want to raise their children differently than their parents. Some common issues include: difficulty with intimacy/ closeness with others, anger, depression, anxiety, too low or high self-esteem, perfectionism, knowing and expressing needs and wants, childhood abuse, addictions, codependency, couples conflict. Some men are wanting support after a big life event such as a new child, retirement, aging parents, grief, divorce, career change, job loss.
We all have stepped on our partner’s “emotional” toes at times. I use Restoration Therapy, a powerful and structured therapy method, to explore each individuals underlying pains in an attempt to gain insight and empathy for themselves and their partner. Many times we enter relationships without realizing we are carrying baggage from our past- and that baggage can get misplaced to our partner. This baggage can manifest itself in “triggers” that feel like emotional landmines for our partner. Dealing appropriately with the pain of the past can allow clarity and compassion to revitalize a relationship.
I am a proponent of Interpersonal Neurobiology and I use concepts such as emotional regulation, secure attachment, mindfulness exercises, and whole-brain education in my work with children, adolescents, families, and adults. My therapeutic work is influenced firstly by Pia Mellody’s work with Codependency, Trauma, and Addictions and by Dr. Terry Hargrave’s “Restoration Therapy”. I also use Person Centered Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I’ve been trained in DIR Floortime developmental play therapy for three years “Developmental-Individual Differences-Relational Based”, which has allowed me to witness how much growth happens in play, and taught me how to play with purpose in mind. My most influential insights come from “where the rubber meets the road” -my own life experience, my marriage, my children, my family, and my friends. My wife and I have 2 young children and spend our time going to the Zoo and local parks, laughing with/at our kids, crying over how tired we are, and cleaning a never ending mess.
Therapy can be a healing, empowering, and clarifying experience. If you’re hurting, keep seeking help and it will come.
Educational History and Credentials
MS, MFT Fuller Theological Seminary
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Ga# 001627
- Trained in the therapeutic and clinical use of Interpersonal Neurobiology, under the guidance of Dr. Tina Bryson
(5 minute video by Tina on Discipline)
- Restoration Therapy–Couples and Individual therapy model using an integration of neuroscience, arousal regulation and CBT, developed by Dr. Terry Hargrave
- DIR Floortime–Using interactive play as the means for rich emotional connection and social/intellectual/emotional development
- Prepare and Enrich–A comprehensive assessment tool for pre-marital counseling
- Certified Family Wellness Educator–Trained in teaching healthy family principles and strategies through seminars and small group discussions